How to Claim
Follow these steps for a quick, pain-free process when registering a claim:
Settle with your Vet
You will have paid your vet the full amount upon discharge of your pet or purchase of any ongoing treatment.
Fill in all the Claim details
Tell us about your pet and the incident/treatment you are claiming for.
You must include the following documentation when you are registering a claim:
- Your completed claim form
- A copy of a detailed invoice from your vet
- Your pet’s medical history will be requested from your vet pertaining to the current claim
- If this is your first claim, we will request a full clinical history of your pet from your vet/s
In order to be reimbursed, you must report your claim within 30 days of the incident, You, and not the vet, will be reimbursed for the amount owing less the excess. If you do not disclose all you know about your pet we have the right to reduce or deny your claim or even cancel your policy.
If a claim is as a result of a third party we may pursue legal action against this party in your name which will require your full co-operation. If we decline liability/repudiate a claim made in terms of this policy it is within your right to submit a complaint to us in writing within 90 days of our rejection letter and follow our complaints procedure from hereon.
Policy details, Exclusions and more…
Qualifications for Cover
In order for your pet to qualify for Kido Pet Insurance your pet must be:
- In sound health and free from injury, disability, disease, congenital or hereditary conditions. If not these will be considered pre-existing and automatically excluded from cover.
- Over the age of 8 weeks
- Vaccinated by a veterinarian within the last 12 months with booster vaccinations kept up to date
- Dog vaccinations include: Parvovirus, Distemper, Adenovirus, Coronavirus, Canine Infectious Hepatitis & Rabies. Bordetella 2 weeks prior to your dog being boarded. Leptospirosis must be included on their next annual vaccination if not already vaccinated for.
- Cat vaccinations include: Feline panleukopaenia, Calicivirus, Chlamydia, Feline respiratory complex & Rabies. Feline Leukaemia Virus must be included on their next annual vaccination if not already vaccinated for.
- Living with you, the sole owner, at the risk address specified
- Your pet is only covered within South African borders
- If your pet is injured or should fall ill you must take all reasonable steps to facilitate prompt treatment by a vet. You should also practise responsible ownership by continuing treatment at home if necessary and as specified by your vet. This is to minimise complications and prevent recurrence of the original condition.
- We only cover services rendered and supervised by a qualified veterinarian. The veterinarian and vet practice must be registered with the South African Veterinary Council.
- Waiting period to apply from date of policy inception and / or the addition of a pet to the Family Care product is: thirty (30) days for all Illnesses and no waiting period for Accident or Third Party cover
- Excess to apply: 15% of claim minimum R250-00 per claim.
Kido Pet reserves the right to change, remove, update or add to our Policy Wordings and Plans from time to time. We will give you a thirty day notice period on any amendments.
- Pre-existing conditions and any illness or injury which is as a result of a pre-existing condition. This includes any incidents that occur during the thirty (30) day waiting period at policy inception or when a new pet is added to any of the Family Care products.
- Routine care of your pet
- Any disease that can be vaccinated against and vaccination is a prerequisite for cover where a vaccination history does not exist or vaccinations have not been kept up to date
- Elective and cosmetic procedures and any complications arising thereof
- Treatment relating to reproduction or as a result of reproduction unless this is an extension on your policy
- Any claims due to the ingestion/chewing of bones when wilfully given to your pet
- Home visit from your vet including travel expenses
- Transplant treatment & surgery. Prosthetics or replacements.
- Voluntary euthanasia of a healthy pet. Cremation services above the basic. Post mortems.
- Treatment for behaviour modification including training
- Treatment for any new pandemic disease or non-endemic disease
- Any illness or injury resulting from the owners wilful injury or gross negligence
- Genetic or chromosome testing
- Any claims arising from the Commercial use of a pet. This includes but is not limited to the following: police/guard/security work, search & rescue, customs, quarantine, racing, betting, research, commercial breeding, leased/rented out
- Boarding or transport. Theft, straying, advertising & rewards.
- Claims arising from the infringement of any South African by-laws in accordance with the Local Government : Municipal Systems Act (32 of 2000) and referring to “Prohibited behaviour in respect of dogs”
- We do not compensate you for fraud, dishonesty, or any non-disclosure or misrepresentation of information by yourself
- Any claims due to war activities, riots, strikes or terrorism
Paying your Premiums
- Your pet is only covered for veterinary expenses if you are up to date with payment of your premiums.
- Your premium will be debited from your account on a monthly basis for which you will have given us authorisation upon activation of your policy.
- If your banking details change it is your responsibility to inform us of this in writing by the 15th of the month.
Cancelling your Cover
- If you wish to cancel your policy please send us cancellation in writing including the last day of the month you wish your policy to be cancelled on.
- If you do not pay your premium for 2 consecutive months, deliberately withhold information from us, blatantly lie, attempt or knowingly participate in a fraudulent claim we have the right to cancel your policy without notice.
- We have the right to cancel your policy with a thirty day notice period.
Contact the Ombudsman for Short Term Insurance
Contact details for the ombudsman for Short Term Insurance:
PO Box 32334, Braamfontein, 2017
Tel: 011 726 8900
Fax: 011 726 5501